"Interfacing": Jargon?

Subject: "Interfacing": Jargon?
From: johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:10:16

Hi gang,

I'm wondering how many of you actually use or would not object to the use
of the word "interfacing" in the following context:

"Users must add contacts either manually or by interfacing with Famous
Software."

In the French version of the documentation says "par interface," or "by
inteface," and I'm always correcting that in the English docs to "by
interfacing with..." However, MS Manual of Style (no flames,please, it's
the one we use, and yes, I know it's just a guide, not the bible, what's
important is consistancy and being understood, and so on) suggests
"communicate" or "interact with."

If "interfacing" doesn't sit well with my peers, then I'll rephrase the
sentence to use an alternative.

Opinions?

Johanne Cadorette
johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com