RE: Tech Writing for Seniors

Subject: RE: Tech Writing for Seniors
From: Bill Buckheit <kcbillb2 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 13:15:24 -0500

Folks,

I think that we're getting away from the main issue here. If others have experience with or anecdotes specifically relating to explaining computers or technology to seniors, I would like to hear them.

I have two elderly uncles (80 and 83) that I continually run into the communication gap with when I talk about computers. I've found that the frame of reference and analogies to things that they know about works best. The good old KISS principle also applies.

Anybody else?

Bill Buckheit
kcbillb2 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com

"Everywhere I go, I'm asked if the universities stifle
writers.
My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them." -Flannery
O'Connor

At 12:42 PM 4/8/02, Erb, Isis wrote:

<snip>
However, the fact that no power lights were on on the PC, no
screen, no fans, no disk noise, and a power
failure, you think the guy might have mentioned this to the tech.
"Yes, the computer is turned on."
<snip>

Same thing happened to me when I used to work as Tech Support for an ISP in
Vermont. The guy was ranting and raving at me - we apparently had broken his