RE: Ever wonder why techwhirler lives seem so crazy?

Subject: RE: Ever wonder why techwhirler lives seem so crazy?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:06:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- Rad -dot- co -dot- il> wrote:

> Geoff, Andrew, Bruce and all,
> A question comes to mind when following this thread. Do you think
> we should
> not plan at all beacuse X% of our projects end up in chaos? My
> opinion is
> that we should, it gives a framework to our actions. Most problems

Erika...

I don't think that planning the whole project is the best way. Not
only do projects change so much that planning is a waste of time, but
it prevents you from taking advantage of opportuinities that weren't
expected in the beginning.

However, I am a proponent of planning a followup for each step. If I
do somerthing, I try to think about the three following possibilties:

1) What do I do next if the current step of the process is
successful?
2) What do I do next if the current step of the process is NOT
successful?
3) What do I do next if the current step of the process occurs but
the results is not what I was expecting.

My "framework" for the project is not based on planning for the
project, but based on 12 years of experience. Much of what I do is
based simply on "what feels right" at the time.

I'll be the first person to admit that for much of what I do, I'm
figuring it out as I go along.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/30