RE: Telecommuting

Subject: RE: Telecommuting
From: "Sella Rush" <srush -at- MusicNet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:37:35 -0700

> It can be done.
> But it's NOT as good. And it definitely makes things harder.

Unfortunately I have to agree. Here are a few tidbits of advice.

1. Only do it part time, at least at first.

2. Consider proposing it on a trial basis, and set specific criteria for evaluation. Focus on criteria such as meeting deadlines, crisis handling, etc., to avoid (or at least counteract) making it all about your manager's comfort level. Be prepared to possibly quantify an increase in workload to support your claim. Be sure to document situations that illustrate that telecommuting is beneficial and not detrimental.

3. Be prepared for your manager to say no simply because they don't want to have to deal with the same request from the rest of their staff.

4. Always work at home the same day(s) of the week. Even if you have to go in for a meeting, don't switch days so as to not miss your work-at-home day. Co-workers will quickly incorporate your schedule into their routines, and this will go more smoothly (fewer hard feelings) with consistency.

5. Try to schedule your personal business (dr appts, etc.) for your work-at-home days so that when you are in the office, you're always there. Also consider working a little extra long on those in-office days.

6. This ones a biggie.... When you are at home, keep in touch with those at work, so they know you're actually working and not out on the beach. Call or send email.

It may seem silly, and a little frustrating because part of the advantage of working at home should be the ability to work when you want. But this is probably the greatest concern your manager will have--are you really working at home. [It's legitimate too, because actually being productive at home can be hard work.] I once had a discussion with my manager, and he commented that, while he was *sure* (yeah right) I was working at home, that wasn't always the office perception when compared to a colleague; the colleague had a cable modem and was constantly contributing to general office email threads throughout the day.

It doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal. You've got a phone, they've got your number. But I telecommuted 1 or more days a week for almost 2 years, and I *rarely* got a call. People just ended up working around me. I had to make a conscious effort to stay visible when at home.

7. A note about in-office distractions: working at home will not eliminate these distractions, it will just change the source of them. Friends, family members and neighbors will feel more free to drop in, arrange lunches and dinners, ask you to watch out for that package they're expecting, etc. And don't even talk about the attractions of CSPAN or Perry Mason reruns, let alone a neglected garden or laundry basket.

Sella x6115