Re: Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Telecommuting
From: Fred Sampson <wfreds -at- cruzio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:48:37 -0700

I telecommute (normally) four days a week, and drive into the office once a week for meetings. It's 75 miles each way, or just under two hours on a normal work day. This arrangement was negotiated at the time I took the current job, and I agreed to come in for all-hands meetings, training, production week, and so on.

Some observations:

I work best in the morning. When I drive to the office, I lose most of my most productive working time on the road. Working at home I'm at the computer by 8:00 a.m. or earlier, being productive for hours before taking a break. By telecommuting I can have dinner with the family and go back to work in the evening if necessary.

I'm healthier, because I have time to work out at the gym a few days a week. That makes me more productive, and less likely to get sick from the wear and tear of driving stress.

Yes, not being in the office regularly I miss out on some of the face-to-face interactions, gossip, and hallway meetings, and often communicate with people I've never met in person. On the other hand, I'm not distracted by the gossip and hallway meetings and daily quest for doughnuts and lunch. My observation is that the folks with the most productive working relationships while telecommuting are those who worked in the office for several years, establishing good personal relationships. Now that they're offsite, the established relationships persist.

Connectivity can be a problem that depends on the availability of broadband in your area. Some IT departments hesitate to support telecommuters' connections. At the moment I'm fighting two "upgraded" (to Windows 2000) machines running "upgraded" VPN clients, neither of which will map network drives that worked fine last week before the "upgrade."

Fred

At 01:20 PM 4/11/2002, you wrote:

I'm in the middle of writing a proposal/whitepaper in an attempt to convince management that I can do this job just as well, or better, without wasting a couple hours each day fighting my way through the looney bin they call a freeway here.

I have found some interesting and useful material on the web (Google is a researcher's best friend) and now I am soliciting anecdotes, opinions, and hopefully, a few facts from you.

Anybody care to share?

TIA

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.
702.914.5585
Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.
-- Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Fred Sampson
Content Developer
Technical Communicator