RE: lurkers and lurking

Subject: RE: lurkers and lurking
From: "Foster, Willow" <WFoster -at- friedmancorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:41:19 -0500

~> -----Original Message-----
~> From: Brad Jensen [mailto:brad -at- elstore -dot- com]
~>
~> That's because we know in America that attitude is more important
~> than skills.

With all due respect, I do not agree with this statement. My skills got me
this job and my skills keep me employed. If attitude was the deciding
factor, I probably would have been among those laid off. I'm still here...
warts and all. ;)

~> The employer wants to know what you are going to do for them.
~> Showing that you recongize that your job is to contribute to
~> the success of the enterprise, brings you the attention of the
~> employer. it is very common, especially in new companies, for
~> the employees to have a stake of some sort in the company,
~> through stock or options. The other employees, and the employer,
~> want to know that you are going to do more than 'just another job.'

This might be true in many companies, but I find it somewhat off-putting. A
company that wants me to 'have a stake' usually also wants to include
mandatory overtime, working from home or on the weekends. On occasion that's
fine, but I don't like to do it often. Really, I don't see a reason for it.
If a company is constantly expecting me to work overtime, then they need to
rethink how they are coming up with deadlines. (Unless I'm slacking off,
which, of course, never happens.<g>) You know... Lack of planning on your
part does not constitute an emergency on my part. They get a solid 40 hours
a week and during that time, I am completely focused on my job and work
hard. However, the rest of the week is mine. This is a job, not my life.

~> There is room for those people also. I find that the scarcest
~> quality in employees is ambition, the kind of ambition that
~> says 'I want to be more useful, so I can create more value and
~> earn more money.'

I'll buy that. I know that I'm not particularly ambitious. I like what I do,
so I keep doing it. I have an interest in programming, so I'm taking classes
to see where that leads. I don't worry too much about my career, other than
to make sure I do something I enjoy. Money, while a VERY NICE thing, isn't
my only deciding factor. If I can't spend Saturday loafing around with my
dog in my garden... well, let's just say it won't be pretty.

Understand, I'm not advocating being lazy or just warming a seat for a
couple years. I'm simply saying that some people choose not to see their job
as the biggest thing in their life.... even in America. ;)

Willow

Try to relax and enjoy the crisis. -- Ashleigh Brilliant