Emphasising text techniques

Subject: Emphasising text techniques
From: Kirsty -dot- Taylor -at- mincom -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:41:13 +1000

Hi all,

I am working on some updates to the Style Guide that our department's
technical writers use. We produce online documentation in HTML Help
format, all text is in Verdana font. At the moment, we use bold type for
screen names and screen elements. If there are words in the text that need
to be emphasised, bold + italic is used. Most of the style sources that I
have recommend *not* using italic on screen.

The thoughts that we have come up with to avoid italics are either using a
different font (potentially ugly and "wrong" looking) or colour (but there
could be colour perception issues for users). We considered just using
bold, but there are occasions where a word such as and needs to be
emphasised between screen names.
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this? Is there some
emphasising technique that you use that you think might work for our
situation?

Thanks heaps!
Kirsty
(Cross posting to austechwriter as well)

Kirsty Taylor - Editor
Professional Services - Mincom Limited
Mailto: kirsty -dot- taylor -at- mincom -dot- com
Phone +61 (0) 7 3303 3221
Mobile +61 (0) 419 197 502
Fax +61 (0) 7 3303 3470
http://www.mincom.com
Mincom. The People. The Experience. The Vision.

delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of
companies unless expressly stated otherwise.