Starting Out

Subject: Starting Out
From: "Victoria Oliver" <vholiver1 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:42:49 -0400

Hi,

I've been doing technical documentation (writing, illustrating, editing) for a long time (20+ years), but - after being laid off for the umpteenth too many times over the past few years - I have decided to try contracting instead of going from company to company as a very un-permanent employee. Someone else here mentioned the fragility of our positions when the dollars get tight. I have been working as the sole tech writer in fairly small companies, and it has left me vulnerable when they need to tighten their belt. I suppose in a few years when they are busy again, and the customer is complaining about the poor state of their documentation, they'll bring someone like me on board and go through the same process all over again.

My question has to do with an opportunity that has been presented to me. There is a large aerospace corporation in the area where I am located, and I actually worked for them for 15 years. Many of the smaller companies around here feed off of this corporation as well, so experience with the large corporation can be a real important factor in getting jobs - both with the large corporation itself, or the other smaller companies.

I was contacted by an agency that has been supplying contractors to this corporation since the early 1950's, and they are one of the large corporation's main sources. I only recently signed up with this agency and have not yet done any work for them. They called me because the large corporation has a position open, but it is not exactly ideal for me. It is further than I would prefer to travel, it pays less than what I would like to earn, and the work is well below my skill level.
However, it is only for 2-3 months, it does pay considerably more than my unemployment benefits, it is an assignment working for the large corporation (giving me more current experience with them), it is an assignment working for the agency that supplies to them frequently, and it is simple enough that I should be able to do a good job on the assignment, with few problems or questions.

So I can see both pluses and minuses in the situation. I'm inclined to want to accept the position, knowing it is only short-term, in the hope that it will enable me to show some of my skills off, get my name known, get a foot in the door, etc. That seems to me like it would be a Good Thing.

However, would it really be to my benefit to do that? Would I get labeled at the junior level, and only come to mind when less challenging work is available? It kind of reminds me of years ago when I started in a group as a secretary, and after a couple of years, and with going back to school and so forth, I was promoted to Technical Writer. However, some of the people where I worked never forgot that I started as a secretary, and never really took me seriously as a technical writer. I didn't get respect as a technical writer until I left that company and took another job that started me out as a technical writer.

Right about now I could certainly use the money, but I'm concerned about the long-term ramifications about taking this particular assignment.

Has anyone else run into something similar? I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Vicki