Emphasising text techniques? (Take II)

Subject: Emphasising text techniques? (Take II)
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:21:50 -0400

Mark Levinson responded to my suggestion that judicious use of italics is
fine: <<I'm not sure anyone mentioned the problem of screen resolution.
Italics that look fine on the page can look lousy on screen-- even in a
single word-- because they depend so strongly on thin oblique lines. That
goes for Verdana at small sizes, even though it's one of the fonts that
Microsoft specifically recommends for use on screen.>>

I don't think anyone did, and it's a good point. You should obviously test
out fonts in the medium they're used in: online, in print, on bulletin
boards, whatever. I personally work just fine with various italics fonts
onscreen, but would agree that they're not for everyone.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS