Re: Font Selection Methodology

Subject: Re: Font Selection Methodology
From: "Elaine Malfas" <emalfas -at- lvp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:11:27 -0400

John Fleming wrote:
>What's your reason for that suggestion, Elaine?
>I'm curious.

It was a simple suggestion presented at a workshop I took a few years
ago. As others have said in postings over the weekend, it is just a
general guideline that can point to fonts that may look good together.

There are oodles of typography books at online bookstores, but read the
descriptions well because many of these books are about
designing/creating fonts, not choosing or using fonts.

As far as books go, I do not have one favorite typography reference
book. The book listed below is great for anyone who needs the basic
information about typography to help steer them away from bad choices:

The Non-Designer's Type Book : Insights and Techniques for Creating
Professional-Level Type
by Robin Williams, Nancy Davis (Editor)

Elaine Malfas
Senior Technical Editor