re: Style Guide vs. GUI terminology

Subject: re: Style Guide vs. GUI terminology
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 07:24:37 -0600

re: When instructing the user to perform some action on the user interface,
use the term "Select" rather than "Click," "Choose," or "Press."

Bad idea, say I. "Select" is normally used rather interchangeably with
"highlight" to indicate designation of some portion of the text or graphics
in anticipation of further action such as deletion, copying to clipboard,
etc. That is, it is a preliminary step rather than the final action.

"Click" is just fine for mouse actions--you never hear the phrases "mouse
presses" or "mouse choices." However, now that I think about it I've not
heard discussion here or anywhere else about the notion of "right click" as
it could apply to those who have set up their mouse for left-handed use.

I agree "press" applies to keyboard keys and not to mouse buttons. There is
great tradtion in "press any key." And, I cringe at how many folks where I
work use "hit!"

"Choose" implies the same thing as "make up your mind!" and isn't
appropriate for GUI instruction IMHO.