Re: Consultant Questions

Subject: Re: Consultant Questions
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:28:18 -0400

Tamara Reyes-Muralles asked:

I will be the only employee of my company.

Welcome to the One-Person-Company club. I've been running my own one-person company since 1986.

However, if I get a lot of calls
for work, I will need to hire someone. I will probably need to send resumes
to the client. I was thinking about putting an ad in the local paper asking
technical writers to send me their resume for potential contract positions.
Does this seem like a good plan?

It's one source, but I wouldn't depend on it. If your local STC chapter has a job leads mailing list or web page, consider putting your ad there, as well. Get the word out any way you can. Call other writers you know and whose work you trust, and ask them for the names of good writers who may be looking for new projects. Announce your need at meetings (STC, Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, whatever) and ask for recommendations. And get to know the owners of other TW companies. If they have staff they don't want to lose, and not enough current work to keep them busy, they may be willing to give you a good subcontract rate for your project.

Other technical writing companies offer to do work on or off site. If a technical
writer were making a Help system, wouldn't it be almost impossible to make the
Help without having access to the company's application? The writer would need
to talk to developers and take screen shots almost every day. How can a technical
writer really work at home and make a company's Help system?

It ain't easy, but it's possible. If you don't have a second computer, ask the client to supply one along with a prototype copy of the application. Stay in close contact with the lead developer and get frequent updates (daily, if necessary). Try to arrange off-site access to the client's computer network, for bug reporting and file transfers. And <heresy alert> GO TO TEAM MEETINGS at least once a week<end heresy>.

--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services