RE: departing from a template

Subject: RE: departing from a template
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:08:32 -0700

Ellen Vanrenen wrote:

| We have a style guide and a template. Our manager, who is the manager
of
| Customer Service and Support, becomes unhappy when we depart from the
| template. I created the template. It is mostly for end user
documentation,
| and I always envisioned it as the "core" from which individual
documents
| might vary to some degree, depending on the needs of the writer. With
some
| variation allowed, documents would still have the same "look and feel"
if
| the writer adhered to the fonts and so forth.
| Is it usual to consider a template the only way to create documents of
the
| same type, allowing the documentor no freedom depending on the
individual
| document?

This varies from shop to shop, so I can't say that it's "usual." But it
is certainly the best practice. Our writers are not allowed to create,
modify, or override styles defined in the templates we use.

Regards,

David Knopf / Knopf Online / San Francisco, CA / 415.550.8367
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com / http://www.knopf.com

WebWorks and RoboHelp Certified - RoboHelp MVP
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT & wwp-users