RE: Interesting site for Help information

Subject: RE: Interesting site for Help information
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:08:45 -0700

jgarison -at- ide -dot- com wrote:

| I got this from a friend ...
|
| HTML Help Center is a great source of information, and provides
| insight into
| eHelp's latest marketing faux pas (click Help News in left column) ...
|
| http://www.mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter/index.html

Jon,

Thank you for posting this. As lowly Help authors and technical writers,
I guess a lot of members of this list, including me, would otherwise
never have seen this curious e-mail from eHelp.

I am a Help author. I am also a consultant and trainer with more than 20
years experience working with Help authors. None of the Help authors
I've worked with could be replaced by an "automated solution." I have
certainly never seen an automated solution that generates actual "Help
content." Good grief!

As a Help author, I found this e-mail pretty insulting. In my opinion,
it demonstrates a lack of respect for the very people who have driven
eHelp's success over the years: Help authors. It is exactly this kind of
thing that recently led me (and a number of other individuals) to resign
from eHelp's Advisory Board.

I think it's a sad day when a software company thumbs its nose at its
own most loyal users.

Regards,

D.

David Knopf / Knopf Online / San Francisco, CA / 415.550.8367
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com / http://www.knopf.com