Re: Instruction Manual Help Request

Subject: Re: Instruction Manual Help Request
From: "Martin Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:00:32 +0100

Richard

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Techwriting.

What you are going through is more or less how I got into techwriting. As
long as you have the right intellectual equipment, adaptability, and a touch
of the boldness, you'll be fine. (Just by way of comparison, my formal
training consists of a background in medieval history and a postgrad IT

diploma.)

Though your organisation might have been wiser to get in an experienced
professional, for you, this could be an opportunity to get into techwriting
( if that's what you want to do). Either way, you're obviously stuck with
the role. So here goes by groat's worth...

It's true that really good techwriting at high-speed takes skill and
experience. However you can manage something adequate at a slower rate - and
better than a lot of the rubbish that's around - simply by 1. Knowing the
product you're documenting and in its context (e.g. who's using it and for
what) 2. Getting the hang of whatever tool you're using (and make sure you
have a sensible tool for the job) 3. Learning to write effective
instructions 4. Learning to structure your information logically. You'll
probably do all four at once.

Regarding #2 and #4, you should probably right-away read the Sun Style Guide
("Read Me First! A Style Guide for the Computer Industry" which will tells
you most of what you need to know to get started, and the "Microsoft Manual
of Style for Technical Publications" for specific issues. As I recall, also
good is the techwriting book in the For Complete Idiot's series.

In general, don't get bogged down with theory or processes, and don't be
intimidated by grammar since you'll be using a very small subset of it

If you want to vent, or ask specific questions along the way, please feel
free to mail me offline. (Everybody else, if you want to take issue, please
de-lurk and do so online since this is my work email)

Good luck

Martin

news:150507 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-