RE: Tech Writing Question

Subject: RE: Tech Writing Question
From: "Suzanne Chiles" <suzchiles -at- pobox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:13:08 -0700

About 12 years ago, I had a perfect tech writing experience. We had just
finished up a release of our product and were beginning on a new version.
The developers were broken up into teams for the various feature sets. Each
team had one or more tech writers assigned to it. We went to all the
meetings. We got to put in our 2 cents, and we were encouraged, by the
development organization, to contribute our opinions and ideas. During this
period, each team was creating its specifications, which were made better by
the inclusion of the tech writer on the team.

At the same time, we taught the other tech writers in our group about the
features we were working on.

Once we started writing our documentation, each writer was an SME, and about
90% of the time we were able to help our fellow writers without any trips to
the developers. The whole process really worked for everyone.

Suzanne