Re: Font Selection Methodology

Subject: Re: Font Selection Methodology
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:32:07 -0400

If anyone other than us diehards is still following this thread, has anybody noticed that nobody is arguing with each other's thesis? Everyone is just throwing up strawmen to poke at.

There is not one single post in this thread that I'm aware of that suggests people should spend hours obsessing over font choice. Everyone agrees that the choice can be made quickly based on knowledge and experience. Everyone agrees that a well designed document with well written, accurate content is the goal. Everyone agrees that gaining knowledge and experience about typography takes time, but it does not have to take time right now while you are working on this document with an urgent deadline. Rather it requires thoughtful observation of detail as you encounter documents over the years that are well or poorly designed. It may require some reading--while you are in school or, later, on your own outside of work--of a book or two on design principles. Occasionally you might learn something directly from those with more experience by following a thread on techwr-l.

Can we all just get along now?

Thanks,

Dick

Damien Braniff wrote:

I'm with Arlen on this one. I don't know about everyone else in most of
the places I've worked they wanted the documentation yesterday. It
would be nice to look at all the ins and outs of using different fonts
but I just don't have the time. I've been in the business long enough
now to know what works and what doesn't. I can get a basic document
(layout, fonts, white space, basic navigation etc) knocked together in
no time at all. I can then concentrate on the most important part -
getting the content right.