Re: Standards wrt paper and standards

Subject: Re: Standards wrt paper and standards
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:52:34 -0400

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

I would assume printers and people working in, or closely related to, that
industry to have knowledge of it.

Knowledge, yes. However if you are working with office printers and purchasing cut paper, only a few grades of paper are stocked in A4. There are rather high cutting charges applied if you want some other paper. If you are working on large-format offset presses, there are still waste considerations, as standard presses and press sheet sizes are often optimized for a maximum page size of 8.5 x 11. This does not mean that you can't impose a publication with an A4 page if desired. It just means you may not be able to fit a 16 pp signature on a sheet. Buying European paper is an expensive option because of shipping costs.

Exact quote from Markus Kuhn:

``I was more concerned when I spotted that ghostscript rounds the A4 default
paper size to the nearest 1/10 inch (resulting in odd paper dimensions being
displayed by acroread), Acroread for Unix having completely broken scaling
A4 support for the first four versions (I filed half a dozen bug reports on
A4 handling alone so far), and so on and so on.''

I didn't communicate it properly first time around, my apologies for the
confusion caused.

Well that's really stupid, isn't it? I wonder if Ghostscript has cleaned up its act in this regard by now. I mean even Word lists the dimensions to the nearest hundredth of an inch. On the other hand, Ghostscript is free; and, as John Arbuckle used to say, "You get what you pay for."

[Arlen]The measurement units? Industry is very close to accepting, the general
public is not only resistant but actively hostile to.

[Jeroen]Why is that?

[Dick]It's our way of paying you guys back for standard rail gauge, which, if you believe the story that circulated on the net a while back, derives from the width of two horses' behinds in ancient Rome. Well, now we're "Rome" and we think our system of measurement works just fine. (Okay, I'm being a bit facetious here. But, seriously, Americans have nothing if not cultural hubris. It's not one of our most attractive qualities, to be sure.)

[Arlen]The format standards, such as A4? For even a large part of the industry the
attitude seems to be, "over my dead body."

[Jeroen]Interesting, especially given the number of global companies/multinationals.
Standardising on this sort of thing would only make sense, at least to me.

[Dick]In the calculus of corporate decision-making, logic carries a negative coefficient.