Re: General typography concerns

Subject: Re: General typography concerns
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:50:01 -0500

>However, typography is the craft of adjusting presentation
>to circumstances.

I think it's a bit more than that, Bruce, though it's certainly part of it.
When you look at something, and compare it what you could have done, if
only you had better paper to work with, or were allowed a few more pages,
or <insert recently encountered limitation here> you sometimes realize that
while you did the best job you (or perhaps even anyone) could do under the
circumstances, it's still bad. When designing for the screen, substitute
"always" for "sometimes".

>But Arlen seems to mean that that best isn't very good compared to other
media.

Or to what you wanted to do. Got it in one, Bruce.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224