re: Question about sending one's resume to companies

Subject: re: Question about sending one's resume to companies
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:17:09 -0700 (PDT)

I got my current position with an unsolicited resume. I just happened to luck out because the company was looking for another writer at the time.

I have mixed feelings about sending out mass resumes. Most of what I will say is opinion, because I don't have much experience in the job hunting arena. I've been lucky. ;-) So take this with a grain of salt.
IMHO:

Advantages to emailing your resume:
* Gets your resume out and lets people know you're available
* Gives you something to do while you're waiting for return calls from companies that advertised a position
* The process of researching and mailing resumes out to companies will get you more familiar with the companies in your area, and help to sharpen your resume/cover letter writing skills

Disadvantages to emailing your resume:
* Takes a lot of time
* Low return rate
* Makes your job hunting visible (I did a mass emailing and the manager at one company knew my manager at the time. Luckily, nothing bad came of the coincidence, but nothing good came of it either.)

Can anyone else add to this small list?

Sean Hower

technical writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com