Re: Question about sending one's resume to companies

Subject: Re: Question about sending one's resume to companies
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:48:13 -0300

I'm on the board of our local STC (and don't hold that against me, whole
other issue), and because my e-mail address is listed on our
website, I get
TONS of unsolicited e-mail messages. The majority of them are "My name is
John Smith. I have 20 years experience as a technical writer. I'm looking
for work, blah blah blah, yada yada yada." I can tell by the
e-mail message
and the resume that the sender has absolutely NO idea what my
company does,
let alone that we are not currently looking for writers.

I can see the point, but my sympathy is limited. The comment reminds me of the manager of a commercial software company who seriously suggested at an executive meeting that the company's phone number and e-mail address be removed from the web site so that nobody would be disturbed by customers. Both attitudes are unrealistic, and hurt the company.

Yes, being deluged by resumes is time-consuming, and it's irritating to realize that the sender doesn't have any particular knowledge of your company (which is why I make sure that the cover letter with mass mailings include some part that can be customized to the company). However, unless you leap into a black hole, if you're open for business, you're going to get unsolicited resumes, so there's no point being irritated by them. More importantly, if you take the time to sort through the resumes, you can build a pool of potential candidates for future positions and have a better chance of filling them quickly. Blacklisting the senders of unsolicited resumes because you feel personally inconvenienced doesn't do a thing for the company.

"'Untie these bands from round my hands,
And give to me my sword,
And there's not a man in all Scotland,
But I'll brave him at a word."'
-Traditional, "Macpherson's Rant"