RE: Question about sending one's resume to companies

Subject: RE: Question about sending one's resume to companies
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 09:37:14 +0100

Hi,

I totally agree with Ms. Casemier on this point. When I was a Doc
Manager, I tended to trash any unsolicited emails I received.
Furthermore, if I received a resume multiple times (which was easy to
detect as everyone sent them to one mailbox at "jobs -at- blingbling -dot- com"),
it just discouraged me from looking at it.

What I recommend is that you find 10-20 companies that you really want
to work for. Then find out who hires the technical writers in those
companies and find a means to contact them personally. If they can't
help you, say "thanks very much for your time, is there anybody else you
might suggest I talk to?" I guarantee a higher success rate, more
feedback and, just as importantly, a more encouraging approach to job
hunting. I just did this with a particular company I was interested in
working for, and got an interview, despite the fact that they're not
advertising any positions. So, one email equals one interview (I don't
know if they're going to offer me a job).

Thanks. DB.