RE: query about US English usage

Subject: RE: query about US English usage
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:56:07 -0400

In Boston, people neither line up nor queue up for a bus. We stand around
the bus stop and charge when the bus stops!<G>

In computer science, we refer to queuing theory, which may be closer to what
you need for your company style guide. According to _Newton's Telecom
Dictionary_, this is "a study of the behavior of a system that uses queuing,
such as a telephone system. Much of the queuing theory derives from the
science of Operations Research." (q.v. for a LOT more)

Also, from the same source, a queus is "a stream of tasks waiting to be
executed, or a series of calls, messages, or packets awaiting the
availability of a network resource." As with the previous reference, there's
a lot more stuff about all of this.

HTH,
Marguerite

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l