RE: Version Fatigue article + Frame interface

Subject: RE: Version Fatigue article + Frame interface
From: "Mike Hiatt" <mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:35:36 -0500

Good piece. Which leads me to post about the critiques I saw of Frame 7 for not changing the interface and making it more modern. Thank God they didn't. I know where to find things for the most part unless I'm trying to do something I haven't done before. Please don't make me relearn where everything is for the sake of a new interface.

I used to use AmiPro (and loved it - the transition to Frame from AmiPro was painless since the way they handle creating documents is very similar). Then I upgraded to a version of SmartSuite with WordPro. I use Word Pro occasionally, but more often than not use Frame. Why? They changed the interface and the way the application works. I can barely figure out how to change or create a paragraph style. Highlighting words using Shift+Control+cursor keys doesn't work. They've made it easier (maybe) by making you be at the end of the previous word (only) and press Shift+cursor keys to highlight. Start anyplace else and you're highlighting one character at a time.

Back to Frame, if there are features to add, add them. If features can be improved, improve them. If you can make the interface prettier without mucking up the interface, then make it prettier. If you want to change the way it works - well, at least give me the choice to revert back to the "traditional" interface. Even Microsoft was smart enough to allow us to use the classic Windows Explorer interface (which I, by the way, prefer).

Thanks for listening. I do love this list.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.
Dallas, TX (yep, that one)