ISO Doc Management

Subject: ISO Doc Management
From: "Alan Salo" <asalo -at- mmgsystems -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 08:05:09 -0500

I have a content management challenge I would appreciate opinions on.
As with many companies, dual roles are becoming a necessity, and I was
just named ISO Director, in charge of our ISO 9001 quality management
system. A task I gladly accepted.

While all of the <exhaustive> documentation is developed (all separate
Word documents, over 2,000 files), an efficient method of distribution
and update is not. It is presently done manually, with photocopies of
revised pages mailed to each remote location (multiple branches) for
them to manually insert into their branch quality manuals. This is
done monthly. Updates can often be hundreds of pages, and errors seem
to be unavoidable. Its a paper monster that I need to eliminate.

All the branches are running Citrix, allowing them to log onto the
Windows server at Corporate. We?re running Windows NT 4.0 and MS
Office with all docs in Word 2000.

I envision a graphic flowchart on the intranet where each major
process function is identified. At each functional area would be the
equivalent of a hyperlink that the user could click to view work
procedures for the function, check the docs for the Unix program
required, or to print a required form. This eliminates the paper and
document revision headaches, as the most current version is the one on
the server.

I only found one relevant ISO thread in the archives, and it mentions
MS SharePoint. Is this the best choice, or are there better tools? Am
I even heading down the right path? Thanks for your assistance. I?m on
digest, so please cc me on replies.

Alan

Alan Salo
Corporate Trainer/ISO Director