Re: An ethical question

Subject: Re: An ethical question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:11:24 -0700

Stuart Rogers wrote:

You don't make clear whether they intend to pay you for these "reviews."
If you receive compensation for them, then you are simply *not* an
independent reviewer and to claim your reviews were independent would be
unethical -- even fraudulent, no matter how hard you tried to be
unbiased. You must not only *be* ethical, you must *appear* to be so.

No, there's no payment from the company.

But, as you mentioned, the need to appear ethical is every bit as important as actually being ethical.

My concern is this:

The assumption that reviewers are bought and sold is so common that the simple fact that the company solicited the relation would be enough to make the arrangement unethical.

Also, while reviewers often contact a company if they're having trouble with the product, or have questions about the direction of a product, otherwise, most reviewers whom I know keep an arm's length relation with the manufacturer.

"Your working day is passing slowly
and you're thinking on the evening time
and we're running wild through your city
all your working days have passed us by."
- Mick Fitzgerald, "All Our Trades are Gone"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l