Distiller on an NT workstation (LONG)

Subject: Distiller on an NT workstation (LONG)
From: "Fiona Hurley" <fiona -dot- hurley -at- gtnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:52:57 +0100

This is one of those problems that I really should have solved a long time
ago, but because there was a workaround I put it off. However, it has now
become really annoying and is holding up my work.

I am working on a Windows NT workstation. I save most files on the server
rather than my local machine, for backup purposes. However, I install
software on the local machine.

In order to install Acrobat, I had to log in as an administrator on the
machine. As an administrator, I cannot access the LAN or internet. Not a big
deal when it's a one-off job such as installation.

However, when I am logged on under my username (as I normally am), and I try
to create a PDF file from a PS, it refuses to create a PDF, giving the
following error:
%%[Error: limitcheck; OffendingCommand: findfont]%%

When I am logged on as an administrator, I can create a PDF file from a PS
with no problems.

BUT, if I am logged on as an administrator when I create the PS (by printing
to file in either Frame or Word), I get an even stranger problem. The PS
file is created without any apparent problems, and Distiller creates the PDF
without any complaint. But when I open the PDF, the text is invisible. I can
search and find it, but can't see it! It appears to be white text against a
white background. Graphics display fine.

So, my current workflow is as follows:
1) Make sure I am logged in under my own username on the network.
2) Print to file (can be either Frame or Word).
3) Log out, and log on again as an administrator.
4) Open Distiller, create PDF.
5) Log out, and log on again to the network.
6) Save the file onto the server (for backup, and also because reviewers may
need to read it).

Not very efficient!

I have searched the Techwr~l archives and the Adobe web site, with no luck.
Can anyone help? Please?

Thank you,
Fiona

Fiona Hurley,
Graham Technology plc,
India of Inchinnan,
Renfrewshire,
Scotland PA4 9LH.

This email (and any attachment) is private and confidential. If you were
not meant to receive it, please delete it and tell us by phone or email.
Although we scan all email and attachments we do not accept responsibility
for viruses.