RE: Average Hours Worked

Subject: RE: Average Hours Worked
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:13:43 -0700

I've run across a start-up or two that kept a
few mattresses and pillows on the floor in the
conference room and sent out for dinner every
night for whoever was working. They were the
sorts of companies, truth be told, that you
could live at for free and nobody would really
notice. (i.e. there were beds, there were
showers, and there was enough free food in the
kitchen to feed several small armies)

As a general rule, I got laid off first as I'd
rather eat my own food and sleep in my own bed.
;-)

Not that I haven't embarked on my own personal
death marches as the release date draws near and
the information comes flooding in from the rest
of the overworked troops. One such death march
was, as luck would have it, the month before
annual reviews. Boy, was *that* a nice raise!
<g>

For the most part, tech writing jobs should
conform to the standard description -- months
and months of boredom punctuated by weeks of
panic. ;-) You shouldn't have to live at a
job and I don't think a company has any right
to expect you to -- but then again, I *am*
currently unemployed. Guess I should have
ordered the sushi.

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net
(please note new email address!)