Re: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?

Subject: Re: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?
From: letoured -at- together -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:37:49 -0400

In <001d01c237ea$38fa5500$4d422744 -at- midltn01 -dot- nj -dot- comcast -dot- net>, on 07/30/02
at 09:57 AM, John Posada <john -at- tdandw -dot- com> said:

>So, you think the warnings are not needed?

<snip>

>Winnebago actually changed their handbooks on the back of this court case,
>just in case there are any other complete morons buying their vehicles. -----

>Ya think someone sat there while writing the manual and thought..."Of COURSE
>I'm not going to put that in...our buyers aren't THAT stupid."

Actually in some industries the writers do have to think ahead of the user,
and write accordingly -- because of the legal liabilities, the costs of
equipment damage that can run into multi-millions, downtime (for machines and
systems that have a value of hundreds of thousands of dollars per hour), and
the possible loss of life, not to mention ethics.

We recently had a thread where software writers who don't have to do this,
didn't understand the point -- While this story probably isn't true, it does
demonstrate the point.

letoured -at- together -dot- net