Re: Re(4): I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: Re: Re(4): I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: letoured -at- together -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:22:33 -0400

In <20020814064352 -dot- 7491 -at- post -dot- strato -dot- de>, on 08/14/02
at 08:43 AM, Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de> said:

>This comment does not seem to make sense. Andrew claimed, in a nutshell, that
>you need to know a lot about a subject to write an authoritative document.

>Now, obviously, when this statement is true when there is unlimited time to
>write the document, it cannot be false when there isn't, which you appear to
>have argued in the quote above. Think about what that would mean: With
>unlimited time, only persons with a lot of knowledge can write a document
>well. Under time pressure, other persons could do so as well.

>This is obviously nonsense.

I'm not sure what you point is -- and I know Andrew's point is as difficult to
grasp -- as it is for a virgin to understand the emotions and physical feeling
that go with sex -- but read the job description below and tell if you could
do the work. Its a really old description, from the days when you had to
really know something to be a writer -- but take note of the words "foresee"
and the "problem solving" notes at the end. Then tell us how just anyone
could do this work.

*******
Plant Test and Operations Department

FUNCTION: WRITING ENGINEER

SENIOR WRITING ENGINEER
WRITING ENGINEER
ASSISTANT WRITING ENGINEER

Prepares written instructions and procedures for the initial
startup, testing, operation and maintenance of power generating
and industrial process equipment, and compiles manuals for the
training of Client's operating and plant maintenance personnel.

SUPERVISORY RELATIONS:

Performs under the direction of the Supervising Writing Engineer
and the general direction of PT&O management, in accordnace with
established company and departmental policies, practices and goals.

KNOW-HOW

The position requires a person with specialized understanding of
the requirements of power plant operation, equipment installation and initial
pre-operational start-up check-outs and testing,
based on experience and technical education. Requires a proven
ability to write clear, concise and correct instructions in appro-
priate levels of English.

The Writing Engineer must have the capability of generating sources of
information , distilling required data from large quantities of information,
arranging it logically, synthesizing it and expres-
sing it in language and form which is most easily comprehended
by readers of specified education and attainment levels. He must have the
patience to revise drafts repeatedly and the desire to achieve optimum
results.

The Writing Engineer must have the necessary background and experi-
ence to be knowledgable in the correct procedures for placing e-
quipment, Systems and components into and out of operation in a
safe manner, and to foresee safety and operational problems and
to describe preventive measures.

ACTIVITIES:

1. Makes telephone and written contact with other offices, includ-
ing those of company and its affiliates, the Client, vendors,
government agencies and trade associations, to obtain data.

2. Is prepared, if required, to visit plant sites to collect
information.

3. Collects and analyses:
a) engineering design data including flow sheets, logic
diagrams, materials lists, system descriptions and equip-
ment specifications
b) vendor data
c) engineering evaluations and reports.

4. Selects and arranges engineering information to suit his require-
ments, usually in the field of his engineering specialty.

5. Writes and reviews instructions on plant equipment checkout,
pre-operational inspections and trial operations.

6. Prepares safety instructions and safety tagging procedures.

7. Writes, reviews and prepares for publication, system and
equipment descriptions, plant operating and maintenance
instructions, and plant operator training manuals.

8. Compiles reports for publication.

9; Prepares schedules and plant activation programs.

PROBLEM SOLVING:

Precision and perseverence are required for thinking through opera-
tional procedures, together with accurate judgement based on a
knowledge of the field and requirements for safe operation.

letoured -at- together -dot- net

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com