Re: another word for steps

Subject: Re: another word for steps
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:49:13 -0700 (PDT)

Richard G. Combs wrote:
But, whatever level of granularity is appropriate, the _smallest discrete entity_ should be a step. _Occasionally_, one of these might have "substeps." But if every "step" consists of a sequence of discrete actions, then _those_ are the true steps, and what you call a "step" is actually a "task."

I agree. That's why I didn't want to use step. But I still wanted to impart the idea of needing to accomplish each task in a specified order. Anyway, I think I will go with John Posada's suggestion and use an outline format. That seems to solve the problem pretty cleanly while not complicating things.

Thanks for all your suggestions. :-)

Sean Hower - tech writer

"Whatever you do, do NOT let your editorial decisions be made by the squiggly spell-checking lines in Word!" ~Keith Cronin, Techwr-l irritant ;-)

Create your own web site for FREE at

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email -at- yourgroup -dot- org by

Get details and download free trial versions at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com