RE: another word for steps

Subject: RE: another word for steps
From: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:08:00 -0400

Sorry to chime in late on this one... I know you've resolved this issue, but I
just wanted to comment on the outline idea.

I think using "step" in the headings is acceptable as long as the headings are
visually distinct from the sub-steps--bold, bigger font, etc. I would not use an
outline format because, IMO, it takes the average reader some extra effort to
decode. Chances are, they've used outlines themselves, but not since school--and
for some of them, your straightforward how-to document will look like some kind
of obscure academic exercise if it's I, A, 1, a....

If you need to avoid the word step, maybe try "phase" or "stage."

Get details and download free trial versions at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com