Re: Technical Documentation solutions?

Subject: Re: Technical Documentation solutions?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 07:49:58 -0600

Very interesting thread!

Andrew Plato said (among other things):

>When managers find out they need to write docs, you can
>expect instantaneous dismissal of your project. People, by and large,
>loathe writing anything down.

This is SO true, and thank the heavens that it is. This fact accounts for
why people like US get hired. Writing is no big deal to us, but to most
people it's right up there with root canal surgery. I didn't realize until
I became a professional writer that most people look at what we do with
fear, loathing, pity, and all sorts of other negative sentiments that keep
folks like us employable. Bottom line: we get paid good money to do
something they don't want to do. And the peasants rejoice.

>And just because you build some mammoth single-sourced,
>database driven system, doesn't mean people will use it.

Again, very true. Your system may BE a better mousetrap. But some people
would still rather call the exerminator and let *him* deal with the
problem than learn how to use your invention.

Keith Cronin

Who would want to replace/eliminate tech writers? They're such snappy
dressers, and fun at parties!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com