RE: Career Upgrade

Subject: RE: Career Upgrade
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:30:23 -0400

>(gotta love Houston). I'm sure that I could stay in my current position
>indefinitely doing this, but I fear dying from boredom. What I really want
>to do is work in the software industry, but the old chicken and egg

Why do you believe that changing the field you are writing about is going to
cure your boredom. I write for the software industry and on some gigs, I'm
bored to tears, and others, I almost vibrate in anticipation of getting to
work that day.

What's the difference?

My goal, when approaching a project, is to make the best possible
deliverable, yet different and more useful than anything they've seen
before. I do this by picking an aspect of the field I don't know, use tools
that give tie most bang for the buck, and attempt to deliver more than is
expected.

If my management allows me to stretch the method of producing my deliverable
with past-gained skills, I'm excited. OTOH, if I'm told "do this, this way,
and not more.", then I'm bored.

Example. I'm writing software logic rules. I could write Step 1, yada yada,
Step 2 yada yada. same old stuff. However, I chose to do it graphically with
flowcharts. Around here, the method is unique and the result is impressive.
At the same times, it is fun to do...kinda like playing with an
etch-a-sketch, but getting money to do so.

Maybe you should try doing the same thing in different ways. Maybe you are
dying from boredom because your method of writing is in a rut and it is not
the fault of your field.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com