RE: Job market and potential age discrimination?

Subject: RE: Job market and potential age discrimination?
From: "Chris La Porte" <cpldll -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:08:25 -0500

During a recent lunch with several tech writers, one person said a hiring
manager actually admitted that the company would not hire anyone over 25.
Obviously, this manager was not well versed in labor law.

In my estimation, age discrimination is much more prevalent than anyone
wants to admit. Many of the most talented, versatile, and experienced, tech
writers in Dallas are among the unemployed.

In our worship of youth during the dot com era, many companies lost sight of
the need for the stabilizing common sense approach of those who had been
around the block. Now, pay is also an issue, as is the notion that older
folks will "hit" the company's insurance more frequently.

I have read some advice which suggests more experienced people should not
put more than ten years experience on a chronological resume, or they should
use a functional resume instead of a chronological one. Does anyone have a
take on this idea?

Chris

>>I agree with Andrew that a good resume and good interviewing
>>skills are critical, now more than ever. But also "only having 4
>>years experience" is a plus. It is enough time that you can show
>>you know what you are doing, but you are still mid-salary. I had
>>one technical writer tell me she had left off ten years of her
>>resume, because of her perception of age discrimination. Having
>>19 years myself, I have considered doing that, but don't feel
>>comfortable with "not being myself". I was wondering what some
>>other techwriters are doing about it.....
>>
>>Rosie Wilcox

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com