RE: structured FrameMaker

Subject: RE: structured FrameMaker
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 10:07:48 +0200

For version 7 Adobe decided to merge FrameMaker and FrameMaker+SGML into one product. Actually, the Maker exe always had both capabilities (as far as I know) and the only difference was in the installation - Unstructured Maker was missing a few dlls (or plugins or FDK clients - whatever you want to call them), as well as a few directories containing windows, documentation, and other files that only make sense in Maker+SGML.
Structured Maker is *strictly* a superset of unstructured Maker - especially now in version 7, since the structured document window finally includes the icons to open pgf and char catalogs. (Now watch somebody correct me on the use of a "strict superset".) The point is, you can use Maker in structured mode, and deliver to users of unstructured Maker with no ill side effects. To actually get structure in your documents you have to do more than just turn on the structured mode. Until you do that extra work, your documents are the same as they ever were for unstructured Maker.

Why structure? As John says, it's there for XML/SGML. There are people who say it adds value even if you never save in an ML... I leave it to them to argue that point, although I'll say that from the standpoint of developing FDK stuff, a structured document is generally easier to process than an unstructured one. Not that you care.
You should run Maker in structured mode for a while and see how it feels. You have absolutely nothing to lose or worry about... It justgives you extra commands. You can then look at some of the structured samples and see what it's all about. If you want to get into SGML/XML, then learning how to set up an EDD (the Maker analog to a DTD) is as good an intro as any - the syntax and capabilities are very similar, yet EDD authoring is "guided" by the Maker element catalog. If you are that interested in this stuff, you should probably leaf through the online manual, the Structured Application Dev Guide.
I always use Maker in structured mode (or Maker+SGML in earlier versions). Sometimes I work in structured documents, sometimes not. The obvious benefit of structure is that I can get SGML out of it. I haven't had any real-world experience using it for XML, but I expect it to be very much the same as with SGML. Editing a structured document has advantages - it's like the mother of all outliners where you can expand and collapse, drag, promote/demote elements and the formatting updates autmagically. It can also be a pain if the structure itself is cumbersome. Tables, for example, are pretty nested before you actually get to the table cell content. Doing real work in structured mode takes a little getting used to - and it needs some justification other than it being a cool idea. That justification is generally import/export of SGML/XML.

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com