Re: I hope I did it right

Subject: Re: I hope I did it right
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:03:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote:

Bonnie, it sounds like you have done the best you could under the circumstances. I
forsee several possible outcomes, not all bad for you.

(1) She sees the enormous amount of work involved in copy editing her 'brain dump'
and pays you what it will take to do the job right.

(B) She takes it upon herself to revise her rough draft into something more suitable
for copy editing.

(iii) She tries to get you to finish the job for a lesser fee than you would
normally charge.

(d) She tries to get you to slap-dash through the rest of the book, saying that most
of the work you've done to date was unnecessary.

(V) Something I haven't thought of happens. <g>

Something to consider is that even if you're right about what needs to be done--and
I have no reason to doubt that--she is the customer. Her name, not yours, goes on
the book. If she wants a poorly written book out there, even self-published, under
her name, that's her business. (*I* would charge her extra if she even thought of
mentioning that I had anything to do with editing her tome. Frankly, I might give
her a discount if she promised not to acknowledge my existence at all. <g>)

Just my Friday afternoon, 2 centavos.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 08/30/02
--First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others.
Thomas a Kempis (1380 - 1471), 1420--

http://faith.yahoo.com

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com