Re: Book recommendation: Indexing Books vs. The Art of Indexing

Subject: Re: Book recommendation: Indexing Books vs. The Art of Indexing
From: Ann Hastings <explorer227 -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:23:31 -0800

Indexing Books by Nancy Mulvany answers all your indexing questions. It
is much more comprehensive than Bonura's book. I have studied both books,
and Mulvany is the best. It is also the book used as a textbook in the
well-respected Basic Indexing course sponsored by the USDA.

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 14:36:12 +0100 "Ternes, Andreas"
<aternes -at- invitec -dot- com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> if budget lets me buy only one book on indexing (because books from
> the USA are very expensive in Germany), which can you recommend?
>
> Indexing Books by Nancy Mulvany
> or The Art of Indexing by Larry Bonura
>
> The rating on amazon is better for the first one, but I don't want
> to make a decision based only on amazon's customer reviews.
>
> Or are there other (better) books about indexing you would recommend?
Or do
> you know online tutorials about indexing? I have the CMOS, so "Indexes:
A Chapter from the Chicago Manual of Style" isn't an alternative.

> TIA and greetings from Germany
>
> Andreas Ternes
> technical writer
> INVITEC GmbH & Co. KG