Re: Anyone know anything about The Help Factory?

Subject: Re: Anyone know anything about The Help Factory?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:37:20 -0700

David wrote:

> In light of all the opinions offered on this list--how the $30 offer could be simply a strategy for drumming up new business, applying time-honored marketing practices--I'd say the assumption that it's a scam could better be characterized as:
>
> "If something looks too different from my way of doing
> business, it must be unethical."
>
> Mind you, it may well be a scam; but I refuse to *assume* so, given the absence of evidence to that effect.

I'm with David. I checked out the site, and found it refreshing and
direct. So they want direct payment instead of invoicing - so does Amazon.
You're ordering a PRODUCT, not their writing services. I did not get the
impression that they bill for their writing services in the same way -
this was just for the "Instant Help" offering.

I didn't get any "scam" vibe from the site. Heck, if you look at their
"About Our Technical Writers" page, it seems to have been written by
Andrew Plato! <g>

To me it just looks like a resourceful tech writer (or group of writers)
who has found another way to generate business. Pretty cool idea, if you
ask me. If you're worried about them, don't use them. The main weakness I
see in their site is a lack of customer references, but for all we know
they will provide one if you write to them. There are several links on the
site allowing you to write to them - it's not shrouded in mystery as the
earlier posts suggest.

Overall, I'm impressed.

Keith Cronin
fondling fonts for a better tomorrow