RE: Anyone know anything about The Help Factory?

Subject: RE: Anyone know anything about The Help Factory?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:45:18 -0500

<<But this is a tech writing company we're talking about, doing what we all do
for a living.>>

So? Why should they get protection? If we can't discuss how others do business
on a techwriting list, where can we? We ALL need to know what the 'competition'
is doing. Are they hiring, how much do they pay, how much do they charge, what
region of the world are they in? All is information that we all can use to hone
our own skills and presentation/marketablility.

<<This is NOT a company whose services we as tech writers might employ, such as
a translation agency, or a software company making tools we use. >>

Um, I certainly might be interested in using their services. Anybody not
currently creating web help or software help may be interested in hiring the
firm instead of shelling out for the software and learning it themselves. List
members looking for work may want to contact the company for employment.
Discussing the benefits/risks/negatives of the business model will aid those
looking to improve their business. Proper, well thought out and polite criticism
of the web site in question might allow them to improve it.

<<This is like saying, "Hey guys, what do you think of Anthrobytes as a tech
writing firm?" It is my belief and understanding that it's not appropriate to do
that on this list.>>

Which is perfectly acceptable in my view. If someone has used their services and
would recommend them, great. If someone had bad experiences with them, they
should feel free to post being aware that they better be able to back up any
false statements lest they be charged with libel/slander. Additionally, the
owner of the company is on the list and is surely eager to discuss on-list or
off the services they can render.

<<I agree, and do not accuse Sharon of slandering the company, just of showing
poor judgment in inquiring about it here.>>

Well, I still don't agree with you. But it wouldn't be much of a list if
everybody agreed all the time would it?

<<Those who did make negative remarks showed even worse judgment.>>

On that I do agree.

Eric L. Dunn

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com