Re: Font Selection Process

Subject: Re: Font Selection Process
From: Cassandra Greer <cassandra -at- greer -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:30:17 +0100

At one company I worked for, the fonts we were to use were chosen by the
company that created our Corporate Image. For the greater image they weren't
bad (not my style but I was not the customer or target audience) However I
wasn't impressed by these fonts especially for online viewing of text but
the powers that be decided that because the people who created our CI were
'famous' and 'respectable' and I was just a peon, they knew better. So we
bought these fonts and I and the rest of the company used them and they
caused us quite bit of extra trouble for (as far as I could see) little
added benefit.

But this is just one story

Steve Brown said:
> To those of you using "non-standard" fonts (i.e.,
> fonts that aren't as common as Times New Roman or
> Arial), how did you come to select them? Was the
> choice supported by research or usability testing, or
> were the fonts chosen simply because someone liked the
> way they look?
The latter though I wished it had been the former.

> I don't mean to sound antagonistic, but given that so
> many other product and workflow choices are made very
> deliberately (e.g., authoring tools, Web design,
> operating systems, corporate logo), I wonder if the
> same consideration is given to fonts.
Yes but not with all the potential ramifications in mind

Cass
--
Cassandra Greer
Spilhofstr. 4a