Re: Non Tech Writing Experience on Resume?

Subject: Re: Non Tech Writing Experience on Resume?
From: Martin Waxman <martin -at- waxman -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:38:06 -0500

Fred Sampson <wfreds -at- cruzio -dot- com> wrote:
>I have a section in my resume for recent education and training, to demonstrate that I'm keeping current >even when I'm not working. If you include your culinary training there, you can mumble something about >"writing procedures is just like writing recipes." ... Make your experience, whatever it is, relevant to the >job.
Why mumble about it? Be proud of it.
Writing recipes is writing exacting procedures -- especially for baking, where precision in measurement of ingredients, precision in baking temperature, and precision in baking time is absolutely necessary to achieve good results.
Three years ago I took a weekend recipe writing course, because it is very technical writing.
In my reference library, I can immediately find:
--The Recipe Writer's Handbook
--Recipes Into Type
--Cardinal's Handbook of Recipe Development
--(there is one other book that seems to be misplaced right now, and I can't remember the title)

I've seen, tried, and have had to send in corrections, to published recipes that are incorrect or badly written.
For example, in The New Basics Cookbook, there is one recipe that omits both an important step and ingredient -- the result from following the instructions in the cookbook are a burnt, inedible mess.

Marty Waxman

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com