RE: OT: The Columbia

Subject: RE: OT: The Columbia
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:07:26 -0500

Did anyone here have a part in writing the onboard
procedural manuals? In what format are they
carried? CD?
Not likely they'd be carrying paper.

Any pilot is taught to perform a walk-around inspection
before take-off. There are key points to check, with
respect to wings, control surfaces, landing gear,
inspection ports, etc. On simpler aircraft, it's
just a mental checklist, but on more complicated
machines, it's paper or an electronic format that
needs active entry (checkmark or initials).

When the shuttle docs with something, it is effectively
"landed", until it disengages and fires a retro-burst
to break orbit. In other words, it's not being flown
while it's in a stable orbit or docked.

Given that space-walks, while not "routine", are
now common-place during space missions, surely it
would have warranted a "walk-around" to check the
integrity of the critical surfaces, especially
given that the "foam incident" was known. Their work
schedule up there was tight, but you'd think that a
major safety concern would have warranted schedule
adjustment. They do carry supplies for unexpected delays.

Yeah, yeah, hind-sight... I hope nobody decides to
scapegoat the techwriter[s]... Suddenly our on-list
discussions about Notes and Cautions and Warnings,
and the importance of complete, accurate documents
seem apropos.

/kevin

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com