When Satire Attacks

Subject: When Satire Attacks
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:50:53 -0000

I have recently enjoyed a series of hilarious parodies of the "visual
guides" to surviving terrorist attacks from www.ready.gov. It made me
wonder how the technical writers and illustrators who built that site
felt. Are they flattered by the parody or deeply offended by people
making light of their (admittedly important) work? Has anybody ever been
in this position?

I think it's a rare and auspicious spot to be in--people are actually
reading (even studying!) your documentation. Did the makers of those
great 1950s nuclear war public service films know that they were
creating a rich cultural vein to be tapped for decades to come?

Here are links to the parodies I've seen recently. While obviously these
sites are critical of American foreign policy, I do not intend this post
to be politically inflammatory. Click these links at your own risk:

http://www.idlewords.com/nuclear_blast.htm
http://www.kieranhealy.org/blog/archives/000290.html#000290
http://davezilla.com/index.php?p=1637&c=1

Thanks. DB.

Darren Barefoot
http://www.darrenbarefoot.com

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com