Re: Question-How independent is "independent contractor status?"

Subject: Re: Question-How independent is "independent contractor status?"
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:22:35 -0800

sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com wrote:

I'm wondering just how literally to take the "independent contractor"
status clause in my contract?

The problem is that contractual status and working relations are two different things.
You can have the right to set your own hours and work at home instead of on-site, but, in practice, you have to use some diplomacy in exercising your rights. Especially early in a project, clients may be nervous about whether you're producing, or worry about confidential information going off-site with someone whom they don't know much about. Possibly, too, your client may be a control freak, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion too quickly.

The way I've always handled the situation is to make sure that whoever is in charge of a project knows my schedule ahead of time. If I'm going to work from home, then whenever possible I mention the fact in an e-mail (just to leave a trail) the day before. If the client has good reason for suggesting that I'm on-site on a particular day,then I'll change my plans if possible.

So far, that's always worked for me. Most clients are easy enough to get along with, so long as you communicaate with them.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Here's to you, whoever you may be,
You who held me up while I was sinking in the sea,
If you were in Kiltartan, and me in Katmandu,
I still would not forget you, and I'd do the same for you."
- OysterBand

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com