RE: 10 things all tech writers should do

Subject: RE: 10 things all tech writers should do
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:33:57 -0600

Andrew,

I am shocked....nay, APPALLED at your posting and what it both contains and
misses.

In #10, when developing the style guide, you don't mention the imperative
and crucial step of figuring out which fonts to use for the guide itself
(not a list of which fonts to use when creating the doc, but the fonts for
the actual guide). Do you believe that a serif or sans serif font is best?

In #9, I would've personally appreciated knowing if: a) the doc plan should
adhere to the style guide and whether portrait or landscape oriented pages
should be used. I guess that depends on which font I used.

In #8, you neglected to tell me if I should use Word or Frame to
single-source. Which is THE best?

In #7, do my postings to this group count as meetings? Also, if MarComm
insists on using Garamond and TechComm insists (as laid out in the Style
Guide) on using Verdana, what level of synergy can I expect?

In #6, Who should I ask to write these for me? And does the content of the
spec(s) matter if the spec sheet looks really cool?

In #5, instead of pointing out deviations to everything, can I just point to
the deparmtnetal deviants and laugh? (ooh, those guys and their fiddling of
fonts)

In #4, umm...well, #4 made sense

In #3, Joe, over in Marketing, is the biggest tool I know. Do I really need
him on my project? Oh, I get ya - then please refer back to my question
earlier - which is better, Frame or Word?

In #2, you don't mention whether or not single-sourcing my training by
learning new font technologies is acceptable. I guess it is a matter of
style.

In #1, can I put off STC membership until they incorporate groovy hats like
other clubs such as the Royal Order of Water Buffalo?

Geez, is it April????

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 - p
Technical Writer | 719.623.7431 - f
Datalogics, inc. | www.datalogics.com

"Whether your dog is 10 pounds or 110 pounds, it is still a dog.
However, a 10 pound cat is a pet but a 110 pound cat
is higher than you on the food chain"

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com