RE: Skills matrix

Subject: RE: Skills matrix
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:44:16 -0400

Marguerite,

What I was trying to say (unsuccessfully, it seems), is that the definition of having the production skill under the tech writer > user doc hierarchy would typically imply the ability to use the tools selected by the company for producing user doc, be they RoboHelp and FrameMaker or some other selection. Similarly, the definition of having the tech writer > engineering doc > production skill would include proficiency in, perhaps, Word and Documentum.

I did not mean to suggest that the "production" tag assigned to a numerical lathe operator would be confused with the "production" tag assigned to a tech writer.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Dick

"Marguerite Krupp" <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com> wrote:

>I would be careful there. It's another case of (all together now...) "IT
>DEPENDS!"
>
>Here at Megacorp (and elsewhere I've worked), we have a "production team"
>who are wizards at getting the stuff to the customers, but they perform a
>*manufacturing* function. They know nothing about a writer's tools, nor
>should they. So, you would have to determine whether in your company's tools
>environment, they'd be interested in writing tools or manufacturing tools,
>and where they consider tools skills with beasties like Documentum or
>ClearCase (to name a couple of specialties) to fall.

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com