RE: Reading level (was RE: Principles for procedure writing)

Subject: RE: Reading level (was RE: Principles for procedure writing)
From: jbfoster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:20:01 -0600

I've never seen such research, though it likely exists, since it would make
a great PhD topic. It would be interesting to see how the decline in current
College reading levels would effect the studies! In addition to your
question, usually grade 6 is the level most English speaking people feel
comfortable with in their day-to-day lives.

The following links (one recent) talk about 'lifting the fog' for the
average reader, and determining the level of writing based on syllables and
sentence structure:

> Is there research to suggest that one's reading level
> declines below what one achieved in school, if one doesn't
> ever do much reading? I do know some office workers who
> leave the office and either watch TV or play (fill in favorite
> recreational teamsport). Not only don't they read for
> recreation (or even self-improvement), they're proud of it.
> So, if their minds have been puddling for some years, then
> to what level should one be writing when addressing them?

Order here:

Check out the contests at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com

Reading level (was RE: Principles for procedure writing): From: MList