Re: "found" TW humor (low)

Subject: Re: "found" TW humor (low)
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:50:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:00:01 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Plato
wrote:

> "Bonnie Granat" wrote.
>
> > 2. There is no premise whatsoever for her metaphor
> *except* the word "bang".
> > That's my entire point. Only an interpretation of
the
> word in that way allows
> > for the metaphor.
>
> > 3. I do not "enjoy" reading material that uses base
> sexual slang as the
> > premise for its misguided plays on language (unless
> am aware of the
> possible
> > content beforehand).
>
> So...essentially the author should change her style
> depriving the audience of
> humor just to suit your personal preferences. If you
> don't like the article,
> stop reading it.

Is that what I said? No, it isn't.

> I think your criticism of that person's work is
absurd.

That's not surprising.

> This was an article in
> a magazine intended for mass appeal. It was not a
> scholarly dissertation or
> report to Congress. I think most readers (greater than
> 75% say) would find this
> humorous and appropriate for the context.

Not when the word "bang" is the only reference to the
generation of life. It's humor based on interpreting
"Big Bang" to mean something else. That is ALL it is
based on. Pretty "low" (subject header) to me.

> One of the most salient concepts in any communication
> is how well concepts are
> conveyed. Most people would get this, and laugh at it.

What's to laugh at? The fact that in a discussion of
the ideas of current cosmology, the author mentally
hangs on the word "bang"? Nothing else in the text even
remotely suggests the generation of life.

> It would simultaneously
> entertain them and help communicate a concept. I'd
> label that successful tech
> writing. I'd label your complaint as personal
> preference and not a rational
> assessment of that author's tech writing ability.

Yes, I suppose I am saying that I found it
inappropriate humor in an otherwise fine article.

Bonnie

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com