RE: Viral attachment notifications

Subject: RE: Viral attachment notifications
From: Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:36:53 -0500

Burton-Hardin" To: <Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us>, "TECHWR-L"
<sharon -at- anthrobyt <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>> cc:
04/15/03 02:24 PM
Please respond to

ID Number:

Hey Sharon,

What scares me is that I saved the attachment to a local drive and had
Norton scan that file and it found nothing wrong with the file.

I just got the "Microsoft Internet Security Section" email message
today, but the other emails were received yesterday or over the weekend (I
was out on Friday). Our Lotus Notes server was acting up, apparently, so it
might have something to do with that. Anyway, I forwarded it along to our
IT guy because the message DOES look pretty authentic! They even went so
far as to include links to Microsoft's Tech Support, Contact Us, and other
sections of their site to make it look even MORE legitimate. To me, THAT is
the scary part, as I am SURE there will be some people that get this and
WOULD click on the executable file BECAUSE it looks like it might have
actually come from Microsoft. Just like there are people that believe that
Microsoft and Bill Gates are giving away money to forward along emails to
10 other people to check email responses! (Or whatever that scam says is
the reason they're supposedly doing that!)

And I do have the latest defs so this is something new. It was
or something. The previous updatexxx.exe ones did not get thru.

I sent it to Norton. Scary.

Apparently this is common enough that has it on their site!
It's the exact same message I received today, right down to the table and

Samuel I. Beard, Jr.
Technical Writer, Human Resources
Texas Department of Criminal Justice

Order here: